Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones

I've just finished reading a biography of Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones. I love to read the biographies of great preachers. Their thoughts and their lives are tremendously helpful to contemporary preachers like myself. I'm in the midst of another one about Jonathan Edwards. More on that later.

Lloyd-Jones saw things differently than I do on a ton of stuff. But one insight which I put words to something I've felt for a long time. I am generally dissatisfied with the preaching I hear. For the most part the theology is okay (although sometimes that bugs me too). The thing that really bugs me is a lot of preaching is dreadfully boring. (I'm sure some in my own congregation feel like I'm preaching to the choir.)

Lloyd-Jones identified this problem as a lack of the Holy Spirit's empowerment. He used the word "annointing". I have a friend here in Bangkok that likes to use that word a lot. Is someone 'annointed'? The word has always made me nervous. Take a perfectly rational person. Have them use the word 'annointed' and I start to listen to see if I can figure out the mental illness. (Seriously.)

But if it means empowerment from the Holy Spirit to preach the good news about Jesus in interesting and relevant ways, well that IS the goal, isn't it? Lloyd-Jones actually encouraged his students to "sue God for the annointing." I like that. Demand it. "God you called me. I can't do it without you. So it's time to deliver." That has a scriptural ring to it.

So if you're a preacher, sue God for the annointing. If you are a Christian, plead for God's annointing Spirit to fall on your preacher. I'm going to be much more intentional about making sure my sermon preparation is a spiritual process, not just a mechanical preparation. Thanks Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones. Your wisdom lives on.

Popular Posts