Sometimes WE are our own problem

I had an uncomfortable conversation this week with someone who used to attend my church. I never know how to approach these conversations. Part of me knows that it's not personal. But part of me thinks everything is personal. And that someone who used to attend, who doesn't now but still lives in the area is someone that I have somehow failed as a pastor.

Reflecting, I'm still not sure who is at fault. We said "hello" and I said, "how are you?" And immediately she said, "so busy. I hardly have time for anything."

Is she trying to tell me it's not my fault? Is she too busy for church? Or is she even thinking about this at all?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. But I came across this story and I think we both should read it.
A husband goes to the doctor for a physical and after it’s done, he says, “Thanks Doc. Can I ask a question about my wife’s hearing?
The doctor says, “Sure.”
The husband says, “I think she’s going deaf. How can I tell?”
The doctor tells him how to diagnose whether or not she is going deaf and the husband goes home to test her. When he gets home, his wife is doing dishes in the kitchen with her back turned. The husband stands twenty feet away and asks, “Darling, can you hear me?” No response. He moves ten feet closer and asks again. No response. He then stands right behind her and asks again, “Darling can you hear me?”
And the wife says, “For the third time, what?”
One moral of the story: Sometimes we are the root of our own problems.

Popular Posts