Back from Vacation

It's been a long time since I've written. I was out of the country for three weeks. The time off was good. Ask any pastor and they'll tell you a few weeks away really refreshes. It's amazing how stressful the weekly sermon prep is. I love preaching and it stresses me out tremendously. I can't imagine how miserable this calling would be for people who don't really enjoy preaching. People underestimate what it takes to talk about God (on behalf of God) each week for twenty minutes.

The family and I are still pretty jet lagged. Today was really the first day I've felt fully human. Jake slept through the night last night for the first time since returning to BKK. That's probably why I feel better today.

We've got a ton of exciting stuff coming up at church. The next six months are going to be a whirlwind.

(1) New Sunday school season starting. We've got to find teachers!!!
(2) Our finance chair is moving out of country - so we've got to find someone to keep an eye on the books!
(3) If I can focus on newcomers a bit over the next few months I think we have potential to see substantial numerical growth.
(4) We are celebrating our 75th anniversary of being a church this year. Lots of work involved in that.
(5) I'm desperate to improve our assimilation system. We do a terrible job of helping people make meaningful friendships. In isolated cases we do well, but overall we have some work to do.

My biggest worry right now is getting swamped by all the details and not being able to stay focused on the main thing - reaching out to lost and hurting people and helping them find Jesus. If you pray - pray that we stay focused.

Popular Posts