Feelings of inadequacy and despair

I visited a remarkable woman today. Nelly has been attending our church off and on for about 3/4 of the year. She retired a number of years ago, and spends her time now as a volunteer. Although she keeps an apartment in Bangkok, she's often not here because she travels around the region.

I went to visit because I heard she was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. She's been healthy all her life until she saw a doctor a few weeks ago about some pain in her back. They found advanced lung cancer. They can't remove it. They are using chemo to try to supress it. She had a treatment on Sunday and was still feeling sick. But she welcomed me into her apartment.

We talked a little about her health, but mostly about ministry. She's worked many years for YWAM (Youth With A Mission), which is the organization she is now volunteering with. Listening to her talk about some of the ministry she's been involved in over the years really encouraged me. I went to visit her to minister to her, but what happened (and what often happens) is that she turned the tables and ministered to me.

It's amazing how God works in that way. Friends, we worship a great God. The strength of character and faith that Nelly is showing in the face of this cancer diagnosis is amazing to me. She has complete trust in God. It might sound weird for a pastor to say this, but I hope to one day have a faith that strong.

Popular Posts