I woke up this morning with Good News

When a pastor talks about Good News, you might think it has something to do with Jesus. But the good news I woke up to this morning has nothing to do with that.

North Carolina beat Virginia Tech
Clemson beat Duke

For a North Carolina basketball fan, it doesn't get much better than that! Carolina won. Duke lost. Jesus is alive! I'll tell you a secret. I don't even like Clemson. But if they beat Duke, how bad can they be?

Then I went to church and got depressed. We showed a video this morning called "Prayer of Peace" put out by the Free Burma Rangers. They are a Christian organization that ministers inside Burma with Internally Displaced People (IDP). IDP is a euphamism for people who've been run off from their homes. The video was really sad. They focused a lot on the effect the war in Burma has on children. One little girl was sucking her thumb and pulling her mother's hair while the mother was being interviewed. My daughter, Anna, who is 1 year old does the same thing. Sad.

Then we did a worship service at church that traced Jesus' movement from when he entered Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover meal with his disciples all the way to his crucifixion. I know there is joy in the cross. But I think it's wrong to jump too quickly to joy. It should be sad even it is the means by which God saves us. Taking it all in I was (and am) sad.

I think God gave me the North Carolina victory and the Duke loss to cheer me up. :) I hope Carolina will defeat Clemson in the final. If they do, it will be a blessing from God. If they don't well, it'll just be a few days till Easter.

Popular Posts