The Problem with Organized Religion... from a religion organizer

 
In Matthew chapter 14 we read "Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said.

Peter sank. Have you ever noticed how often Scripture records incidents where Jesus invites someone to do something they eventually fail at? Why?

Because failure is one of the most important experiences in learning. Failure can, of course, be bad. It can result in fear, damage, hurt and ultimately giving up. But it can also result in character formation, trying again and eventual success.

I think one of the purposes of the modern church ought to be to make it easy and natural and expected for people to risk failing. We want people to 'get out of the boat and try to walk on water'. What we tend to do instead is teach people to swim (which is a good thing). Then help them put on a lifejacket (not a terrible thing). And then create rules to ensure all the swimmers are wearing lifejackets.

It is (as Seth Godin says) "institutionalize[d], organized cowardice."

The problem with organized religion is the same with most any organization - organizations tend to be conservative. They tend to be risk averse. The mere act of organizing something is an act of control... which is counter to faith.

This works its way out in so many ways. In church, for example, we distort "spiritual gifts". They are no longer a call to take risks for the kingdom of God in ministry. They become an excuse to do nothing. "It’s not my job.” "That's not my gift." "That's not my calling."

One of my goals as a pastor is to create dis-organized religion. A dis-organized church. I want to give people cover to try new things. I want to give people cover to be brave. I want to encourage dreams that require faith.

I don't want to be reckless. But I do want to take calculated, faith stretching and faith growing risks.

What dreams would you pursue if you had a bit of cover?

Popular Posts