Buddhist blessings

I went to the gym this morning as usual. There is a subway sandwich shop under my gym. Seems like a strange combo. But it's the pizza place that really bothers me! :) Who can run with smells of pepperoni wafting up?

Anyway - as I made my way from the parking garage to the gym, I noticed all the chairs and tables were pushed up against the wall of the Subway. All shoes were outside the restaurant and there was chanting. An altar had been set up in the corner and three monks were leading the chanting. All the employees were on their knees following the monks.

It was about 8am. The time the sign on the door says the restaurant opens.

One of the things I think is endearing about Thai Buddhism is that people practice openly. There is no social pressure to keep it to yourself or in the closet. Ironically, there is social pressure here to keeping Christianity in the closet. This is true for both Thais and people of European decent. From the Thai side there seems to be some sense that Christianity is a foreign religion. From the European side its a quaint religion that was good for the 19th Century, but we are past that.

I'm looking forward to the day when we Christians put away our shame and fear at being seen in a poor light and just practice our faith out in the open. I confess I'm as guilty as anyone.

You've been there, right? You are with friends in a restaurant. Either they aren't Christians or you aren't sure. Do you pray over the food? I'm a pastor and I hesitate. Part of the hesitation is a genuine attempt to be sensitive. But part of it is just not wanting to appear all religious. Where does that shame come from? How do we get over it?

Popular Posts