5 things that distract the preacher!

I am sitting here at the Christian Guest House getting some work done before our evening service. One of the great things about our evening worship is that it is very simple. So if something doesn't go well in the morning - I can usually count on the evening to improve my spirits. There is almost nothing that CAN go wrong.

This morning a couple of things distracted me. Ironic - since last week I preached about how evil tries to distract us away from the things God has called us to.

Here a top five things that can distract me during a worship service...

(5) A bad sound system. Too loud. Too soft. Feedback. The funniest thing happened a few weeks ago in our morning worship. We invite newcomers to introduce themselves. This guy stood up. I handed him the microphone. Just as he leaned in to say his name... there was loud feedback. And he recoiled and shouted out "Jesus!" I'm sure he was a little embarrassed. No need to be. We've all had stuff like that slip out at strange moments. If the guy who did that is reading this... Don't worry about it. Come back. No remembers it. :) Feedback and bad mics bug me too.

(4) A poorly timed element in the worship. If you are supposed to go 5 minutes, don't take 15. (I am guilty of this sometimes myself. But it doesn't bother me as much when it's me. :))

(3) Cell phones don't bug me, but cell phones that ring and are not shut down quickly...that bothers me. We all know it happens. Just grab your phone and silence it. But don't ignore it hoping no one else will hear. We all hear it. If the ringing goes long enough - I as the speaker have to decide whether to mention the elephant that just entered the room. But I know anything I say might embarrass you. Sorry. Better to embarrass you than leave the elephant unnamed.

(2)
A really poorly performed element in the service. I know worship is not about performance. But if something is so bad that it's embarrassing, I end up evaluating it rather than appreciating it. If you are reading in worship - practice it. If you are singing - make sure you know the song and can sing it. If you are preaching - don't read your sermon. Preach it. If you are praying, think about the prayer ahead of time. It's great to rely on the Holy Spirit. Let the Spirit work in your preparation.

(1) Babies crying don't bother me... UNLESS it is my child. Then all my concentration is lost.

Popular Posts