Weird thing in Bangkok

I saw one of the strangest things a few minutes ago. Those of you that know me know that I see lots of strange things, but this might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Not sure what to make of it yet.

I was walking down Silom Road next to the Sala Daeng BTS Station - one of those homeless guys who has really given up trying to appear sane... he's half dressed. No shoes. Hair sticking up to the sky with "I'd just as soon punch you as walk past you" look in his eyes.

I saw one of those guys at the ATM getting money. Now I hate to be cynical... But I am. I don't know the situation. Perhaps he is as poor as he lets on, but the fact that he has a BANK ACCOUNT suggests otherwise.

Like I said. I don't know what to make of this yet. I know it does NOT mean I should be less compassionate. I know it does NOT mean all homeless, crazy looking guys have bank accounts. I know it does NOT mean that he is fit for society and could just "get a job" as I have so often heard. But what DOES it mean?

(PS I didn't pull out my new camera phone - which I did have with me - for obvious reasons. Did I mention that the look in his eyes said, "I'd just as soon hit you as walk past you"?) Enough said.

Popular Posts