Did Jesus struggle with unanswered prayer?

I'm very excited about tomorrow's worship service. It'll be one of the best we've had at ICB on a Sunday morning. If for no other reason that we are welcoming 25 new members. They'll represent about 1/6th of the congregation. We're also dedicating a toddler. It's a great thing.

I'm preaching about our obligation to pray for each other and how that sometimes deteriorates exclusively into prayers for aunt Bessie's toe infection. Nothing wrong with praying for Bessie's health. In fact I encourage it. But is that all there is? Is that really what Paul had in mind when he said we ought to pray for each other? We're going to look at a couple of the prayers Paul prayed for different churches to see how he prayed for fellow believers.

In the process of studying this, I was thinking about some of Jesus' prayers. John 17 is the longest prayer recorded for Jesus in the Bible. He prays for unity among his disciples. That didn't go so well, did it?

I was reminded of Jesus prayer before being arrested, "if it's possible, can we do this another way?" That didn't work out so well either, did it?

Do you think Jesus ever struggled with unanswered prayer?

I can imagine Jesus praying for Peter. "Father, help him to think before he acts." I can imagine Jesus praying for the rich young ruler, "Father, help him give up the wealth which keeps him in prison." I can imagine Jesus praying for John and James, "Father help them stay awake." I don't know that he prayed these prayers. But I can imagine it.

This is a sermon for another day. But it's interesting to think about. Do you think Jesus might have struggled with unanswered prayer?

I know I do. I've got people that I'm praying for who just don't seem to be able to get their faith together. I've got situations I'm praying about that just don't go the way I think they ought. I've got temptations and sin in my own life that I pray about regularly, but it just doesn't get easier.

I think Jesus must have been frustrated from time to time with prayers that didn't go his way. That's a comforting thought - even if I don't understand God - at least I know that God understands me.

Popular Posts