2 Prayer Tips For Those Who Are Distracted

Most people I know pray. Most Christians I know think they should pray more than they do. We know it's important, but we just.can't seem to do it. There are lots of reasons from not enough time to not knowing how. One thing I hear people say is, "I get distracted."

Here are 2 tips to help you deal with that.

First, pray anyway. Just because your mind wanders doesn't mean you've offended God. You are in a restaurant with that special someone. You are having an intimate conversation about your relationship. And next thing you know you are discussing some problem of yours at work, or worse some sports tragedy. Your special someone is offended. "YOU aren't concentrating on the relationship." No one likes to feel like they are playing second chair to something else that's on you mind. God is different. God doesn't have the same insecurities that your sweetheart does. God is not offended when our mind wanders. So don't worry about it.

Second, pray about what your mind wandered to. Perhaps your mind wandering is a hint that that's what you are really worried about. Bring to God what is on your mind. If it's that thing at work, pray about that. If it's the game last night, pray about that.

The truth is God just wants us to talk to him. He's much less interested in WHAT we talk about than we are. Why? Because God already knows. God is NOT in heaven taking notes on your prayer requests. God is NOT grading your prayers. God just wants to hear your voice, to have a relationship with you.

My daughter is 2 and a half years old now. She's talking up a storm. Most of the time I have NO idea what she's saying. But I LOVE it when she talks to me. I just love it. Those big beautiful eyes looking into mine. The desire to relate. I just love it. I suspect God feels the same way with us... no matter the topic. No matter the words we use. So pray. You'll make God smile.

Popular Posts