How God is NOT like a coach I had once

A link to Sunday's sermon is here.

Yesterday (Sunday) was very interesting. Fun and irritating at the same time. Here's the skinny. Yesterday was the annual meeting of the church. The agenda consisted of (1) reports from various leadership committees (2) a proposed budget for 2010 (3) proposed church leaders for 2010 and (4) my contract renewal (the elephant in the room from my perspective).

Entering - I think we all knew that there were no problems. But I have to say that after having served a church for almost six years, it sure doesn't feel good to have your congregation and your friends have to vote on whether to extend your job as their pastor. It was handled about as decently as possible... and still as I left the room I just felt empty. And frankly when I got the call that just as we expected everyone was very supportive of the renewal - I still felt empty.

I'm thrilled to continue pastoring ICB. I still feel called here. I just don't fundamentally like the idea of having to vote on these things in this way. I don't have a better system in mind either.

Now onto the good stuff.

(1) It was great to see some folks I haven't seen in awhile Sunday. Welcome back.

(2) It was sad to say goodbye to Peter and BeeLian. But I think we'll see them again.

(3) The choir was bang up on Sunday morning. Thanks. And we mixed in a little Sunday evening music in the morning service too. I think the real divide in Christianity at the moment is not denominational or even theological. It is between those who know the "contemporary" repertoire of songs and those who are hymn people. :) I'm glad to be in a church where we have both types, we get along, and we get out of each other's way. :)

(4) I did say that a lot of what I learned in Sunday school had little to do with what Jesus was really about. (No offense to my Sunday school teachers when I was a kid. They were great.)

(5) I preached a bit about entrepreneurial faith. As part of the sermon I did say that God loves us and trusts us so much that sometimes from where I sit it appears naive! And that's true. And I thank God for that!

(6) If our faith leads us to a comfortable acceptance of the status quo rather than a passion for the kingdom of God then we've missed something 'cause "status quo" was NOT what Jesus was about.

(7) I also said I wished there had been a fourth guy in the parable (Matt 25:14-30) who was entrusted with the master's money, invested it and lost everything. I'd love to know how the parable treats THAT servant. I think it would go "The master looked at his pitiful servant and said, "I know it didn't work out this time. I love your spirit. Let's work together so you can be more effective. Now here's some more start up capital."

(8) You SHOULD read the passages surrounding Matt 25:14-30 AFTER reading the sermon and think about them with the same themes in mind. The emphasis on taking initiative, taking risk and being entrepreneurial is undeniable!

(9) It was great to chat with so many wonderful new people after the service in the evening... some of whom I think are a great fit for ICB and have probably found a church home for themselves. Praying they'll all come back and we can learn the ways of Jesus together.

(10) I was NOT happy to talk to 3 people after the worship service who complimented me and thanked me for the preaching of God's word and said that the Holy Spirit spoke to them during the sermon calling them to consider moving to another city. DANG IT! There were some of my favorite friends in that trio!

Eight was enough. Ten is more than enough for now. I will say I heard a wonderful testimony today over lunch. I Asked him to write it down. Will publish when I get a chance and permission. How a Pakistani Sikh/Hindu/New Age/Atheist became a Christian? It's awesome inspiring.

Opps almost forgot. The thing about the coach is in the sermon.

Grace and peace.

Popular Posts