How to pray at a NASCAR race



A few years ago I was leading a Bible study on prayer. We got into a conversation about what is appropriate for prayer. A few people talked beautifully about how prayer is not really us changing God's mind, but rather it's about God changing our minds. Some said they prayed just that "His will be done". Some said they don't really believe in praying for things with specifics, but (as acts of humility) leave that up to God.

Then one lady said. I just pray for what I need and want. I pray and ask for very specific stuff because I have very real and specific problems.

The conversation ended. And the erudite among us realized that erudition (is that a word) was just a mask for arrogance and we'd been humbled by someone that just told God what she needed and wanted.

I've listened to the prayer above a number of times. I've listened to all sorts of people lament the irreverence of it. How improper it was. I've heard some secular media joke that this guy has put the "fun" back in fundamentalist.

At the end of the day... I liked it. I wouldn't pray it myself. I have other concerns. But then again, I wouldn't be caught at a NASCAR race either. ;)

My guess is that God cares less about the words we use or whether we pray properly and cares a lot more that we do pray. I wonder if all the critics spend much time praying at all.

Popular Posts