How to tell a spiritual story

Rick Warren recently wrote an article about how to prepare to share a Christian testimonial.

I agree with him that the Bible teaches that Christians are God’s messengers (2 Corinthians 2:17). We are God's ambassadors. When Jesus (in Mark 8) asks "who do people say I am?" and finds out there are all sorts of ideas out there, he turns to his disciples and says, "Well, then, who do YOU say I am?"

Testimony is important. It is important to figure out how to explain how and why you became a Christian and it's important to be able to do that with humility and invitation rather than arrogance and judgement.

Probably the most helpful image I've heard to help that is to realize that we are witnesses not attorneys. We tell our own story. What happened to us. It is not our job to argue or convince. We just tell. Honestly, humbly, with passion and enthusiasm what God has done. How we understand it.

Jesus said, “You will be my witnesses,” not “You will be my attorney.”

Sharing your testimony is an essential part of your mission on earth because it is unique. There is no other story just like yours, so only you can share it. If you don’t share it, it will be lost forever. You may not be a Bible scholar, but you are the authority on your life, and it’s hard to argue with personal experience.

The Bible says, “Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect.” The best way to “be ready” is to write out your testimony. A simple template is to divide it into four parts:
  1. What my life was like before I met Jesus.
  2. How I realized I needed Jesus.
  3. How I committed my life to Jesus.
  4. The difference Jesus has made in my life.
Of course, you have many other testimonies besides your salvation story. You have a story for every experience in which God has helped you. You should make a list of all the problems, circumstances, and crises that God has brought you through. Then be sensitive and share those stories with friends who are in situations where they can relate.

I hope this helps.

Popular Posts