Generous are the poor

Jesus famously said "Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the kingdom of God." (Luke 6:20) It was an opener for his longest recorded sermon. It was an attention getter. It didn't make any sense and still doesn't unless you look at things from God's perspective. I experienced a variant of this on a variety of occasions last week that shocked, challenged and made me think.

Jesus said "Blessed are the poor" I experienced "GENEROUS ARE THE POOR".

When you look at the photo above you assume that the hand with the coin in it is giving the coin to the poor children. What if the kids have just offered the coin to the man and he is taking it?

It's hard to accept charity from someone you believe is worse off than you. It's hard to accept charity period. It's humbling. It forces you to consider how you view the world.

Last Sunday night one of our members, who is a refugee from Sri Lanka, came to me with a gift. I know he sometimes doesn't have enough food to eat. I know that he often goes to the Hindu Temple down the street before worship just to get a good meal. (I hear they have amazing potlucks!) I know he doesn't have money to be giving gifts to me. And yet, that's exactly what he did. It was humbling and forced me to re-evaluate how the world works.

Last Sunday morning a young man (also a refugee) approached me with an envelop full of money. I helped him and his wife get married. I did it without charge or expectation of any payment or gift because I know they struggle financially. Then he approaches me with an envelop full of money. I've had the rich stiff me. I wasn't surprised. Over and over again I AM surprised by the generosity of the poor.

Why is that? What does it mean?

I don't really have an answer. All I can say for sure is that "GENEROUS ARE THE POOR" and it makes me a different person for having experienced it. And I expect I understand God better for having pondered it.

Popular Posts