Jesus and Marx shared the same worry about religion?

Here's a link to the sermon. The stuff about Marx and Jesus is at the end.

Here are some highlights from yesterday.

(1) Before church I was chatting with someone whose office was near some political disturbance on Friday. While I was asking about it, she said, "let's not worry about that right now. Today we are focused on..." We were in church, right? I was sure she was going to say, "Today we are focused on God." Instead, she said "Today we are focused on Roger." What? :) Big Roger Federer fans. Then she connected the whole thing to God by saying she would pray for Roger.

To that I replied "I'll have to pray for Andy for the sake of balance."

To which her husband replied, "The Church of England has that covered. Let's stick with Roger." :)

Hilarious. The tennis theme continued throughout the day. We had a church leadership meeting from noon until 4pm. The final started at 3:30pm. So people were a little anxious to get finished early (which we did). I couldn't go home and watch the match though. Too far and not enough time before the evening worship. So I went straight from the church council meeting into a pub to watch. (Is it wrong to go straight from a church meeting to a pub? Some of my members suggested it much have been one heck of a meeting to drive the pastor to the pub.) Don't worry. I didn't order a beer. I ordered a CocaCola. :) (Read the sermon to understand the joke!)

Then I had to sit and watch tennis with a drunk brit who was telling his companion about his sexual conquests noting sensitively that one girl was a little shy when his MOM was visiting from England! Come on! I was just dying to introduce myself as Rev. Perry! :)

But the tennis story doesn't stop there. The match finished at about 6:29pm. Our worship starts at 6:30pm. So I wasn't sure who won. Last score I'd seen was like 5 all in the tiebreaker. So our worship leader/ song leader asked when we started worship. Two guys in the back knew that Roger won the tiebreak. We all cheered. I found out AFTER the service that the two guys who knew the score were British. :)

It's all in a day's work.

(2) Really enjoyed all aspects of church today. I thought we'd have a bit of a let down after a big and important Sunday last week. Not so. Intl Church people are awesome and stepped up!

(3) I did say that sometimes I think 7-11 is a creation of the devil specifically designed to make me less healthy! I know it's not true, but it sure feels like it sometimes!

(4) I also said that I believe Jesus had the same concern as Marx about religion people. Religion can lead people to be satisfied with how things are; rather than passionate about how things could be. Marx used the term "opiate" to describe the affects of religion on a populous. It doesn't have to be. Religion (at least Christianity - it's the one I know best) can and does lead to revolutionary change and tenacity for justice and goodness. Christianity can only be an opiate if misunderstood. I think that is Jesus' point in Luke 18:8b.

In making the comparison with Marx, only one person accused me of calling Jesus a communist. (And from him it was probably less accusation than compliment!)

(5) The fact is that when we (Christians) get used to injustice and accept it as "just the way things are" we betray an incredible lack of faith. It must make Jesus pretty sad given all he gave up so that we'd be free to pursue justice, beauty, goodness, righteousness and love.

Five is enough for today.

Popular Posts