Christianity in a tense Bangkok

As you surely know we've experienced some disorienting political tensions over the last two months in Bangkok. I want to provide some pastoral perspective.

I strongly believe that as Christians we are NOT called to be a people of fear. As I pointed out in my sermon on Easter - the most frequent command in the entire Bible is "do not fear". Angels say it, prophets say it, Jesus says it, God says it. It's a big theme.

One of the best gifts we can offer our neighbors and friends at times of high anxiety is a non-anxious presence. We can be calm in the midst of voices all around us that call for panic.

How do we become a non-anxious presence? I find Reinhold Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer helpful. It is used today largely by people in 12 step groups, but Niebuhr wrote the prayer in the 1930s and it's great for situations where we don't have control and there is real danger.
God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things that I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.
It is my prayer that things in Bangkok will move in a positive direction. But I cannot control that. I can only love those I come across (red, yellow, blue, pink, white or black) and try in my own anxiety to listen to the words of the angels, "do not fear."

Popular Posts