What's the most often repeated command in Scripture?

Yesterday's sermon was all about "fear" and why and how Easter addresses it. "Do not be afraid" is the first command given by Jesus post-resurrection. It's also the most common command in all of Scripture. This has very practical application in a world where many of our biggest problems are based on acting out of fear rather than hope or love. Here's the text.

Some quick thoughts.

* Bangkok needs to hear the message "Do not be afraid". There is so much fear mongering going on! Yikes. The Government, Media and Opposition all seem intent on stirring up huge amounts of fear.

* I was inspired by how many people told me about inviting friends and neighbors to Easter worship with them. Gotta invite people over and over again (in creative and non-threatening, whimsical ways). Eventually as people who are close to you see your commitment to Jesus and as they respect you, they WILL give your faith serious consideration.

* I did quote @ktiu in my Easter sermon. (It's not written word for word into the text.) This was a challenge leveled to me by a friend (can I call you a friend?) who likes to try to bait me into public arguments on twitter about things having to do with God. His real life personality is very different than his *virtual* one. When we first met in person I thought I was meeting an angry old man. Ha.

* I was blown away when I learned what the most frequent command in Scripture is. It makes sense when you hear it, but I would have NEVER guessed it. Thanks to NT Wright for the Biblical insight. Thanks to MOS Burger for providing the space that allowed me to sit casually reading Theology two weeks back.

* Pamela's flute on to open the morning service was a powerful, powerful, powerful way to begin Easter. We started Easter (in both services) with a focus on Jesus' death. THEN we celebrated Resurrection!

* Loved Den's version of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" for communion in the evening worship. What a great image for celebrating Jesus' life and death. Bittersweet sacrifice. If we are too *happy* about it, it cheapens it somehow.

* First time ever to have Mark, Den, Sam and Jack all present to play at the same time. More musical talent Easter Sunday night than I knew what to do with. Thanks to Beatrice, Siri and Pamela for singing great too.

* Had a couple of people approach in tears after services yesterday - overwhelmed by the presence of God in the worship. I LOVE watching God at work. That never gets old.

* The egg hunts in morning and evening were great... especially loved the morning hunt for older kids in the Auditorium with the lights off and flashlights. Thanks to my old high school pal Susan for the idea.

* Sad to say "Bye" to Siri in the Evening and Malcolm in the morning. Two people I will miss as they move away from Bangkok

Have a blessed week. I'm off to the beach to play with my kids and be lazy. It's been exhausting keeping up with the political tensions in Bangkok.

Popular Posts