US Authorities Shut Down Illegal Filesharing Websites and Spirituality

I read with interesting this article in the NY Times today.

It's about the US Department of Homeland Security shutting down filesharing websites. (I thought Homeland Security was focused on terrorism. Perhaps a little focus would help.)

What I find interesting is the complete ineffectiveness of these types of police action. In my limited experience, punitive or threats of punitive action rarely reform people. In fact the article itself says,
On Friday, torrent users were already discussing new sites that had popped up to serve them. 
This shouldn't be surprising. Apparently a sizable portion of the population thinks piracy is okay. Living in Bangkok shows this. There are crowds at IT Malls known for piracy. Every once in awhile there is a crackdown, but it never does any good. Why?

I think what's needed aren't stricter laws or better enforcement, what's needed are changes of heart. Changes of mind. Changes of opinion.

This is where spirituality comes in. Transformation in persons or society doesn't come from threats and punishments but from inner transformation that comes from (for Christians) the life-changing power of the gospel. It's why Jesus sought to win hearts and minds. It's why God doesn't force us or manipulate us. Instead he tries to win loyalty through love.

Perhaps those fighting software piracy could learn a lesson. Don't threaten me. Or shut me down. Convince me I should want to shut down on my own. It would be time and money better spent I think.

Popular Posts