Putting the sex in Christmas

A billboard outside of St Matthew's-in-the-City Church in Auckland has stirred up controversy. Joseph and Mary in bed looking dejected with the caption "God is a hard act to follow". (I know you should never explain a joke, but for anyone unfamiliar with traditional Christian beliefs - the joke is that God made Mary pregnant for the conception of Jesus.)

When I initially saw the billboard I laughed. It's funny. Come on. You know it is. I laughed until I read the article about the photo. In the article I learned that the purpose of the billboard wasn't to create a laugh but to "to provoke thought and conversation about the true origins of Christmas".

Comedy can be a great conversation starter. But not when you are poking fun at OTHER PEOPLE'S DEEPLY HELD BELIEFS. Comedy starts good conversation when you poke fun at YOUR OWN beliefs.

If the church in question was a conservative church trying to provoke discussion - no problem. The point would be something like, "I know some of the stuff we believe might sound crazy. Let's talk about it...."

Instead the church is a liberal church and so the point becomes, "some of the things THOSE OTHER CHRISTIANS believe is stupid. Let's make fun." Hardly a good conversation starter.

In my experience when Christians engage conversationally like this church is doing -
...nonChristians laugh along. pat us on the back and say things like, "If I ever do come to a church I'll come to yours, but there is no way in hell I'm ever coming to a church 'cause you've just confirmed the whole thing is stupid."
...Christians who disagree with us get defensive.
...Christians who agree with us sit with us and we all feel smug.

There is no vulnerability in this billboard. And that's the problem. Without real vulnerability, there is no true conversation. Without genuine conversation, there is little chance for peace. And isn't THAT one of the true meanings of Christmas?

Popular Posts