Channeling Your Inner Benny Hinn

Someone I respect a lot blogged a few weeks back about his churches' hopes to buy more property. Apparently they were in a bidding competition for the property they wanted. He wrote,

We're up against a real estate Goliath that has 23 million square feet of retail space across the country. We've got less than 10,000 square feet. This isn't a battle we should win, but I believe the battle has already been won. With all due respect, this piece of property doesn't belong to the sellers. It belongs to God. I think this piece of property has our name on it, but it's going to take some serious intercession. Actually, we're not praying for it. We're praising Him for it because we believe it's already a done deal despite the long odds against us. 

This really troubles me. Where in the Bible are we told to boldly and publicly "proclaim" that property is ours (Israel going into the promised land withstanding which is a whole different kind of issue)?

I read in the Bible about having faith. I read about believing. I read a lot about humility. And about justice. And about loving our neighbors and about being a positive force (blessing) in our communities.

I'm not sure where this "name it, claim it" stuff comes from. I'm not sure where the Bible says to demonize (or Goliathize) our enemies or our competitors. Did the "real estate Goliath" do something terrible? Perhaps they were going to build something evil?

Pitting everything as a battle against good and evil is seductive. Declaring victory in faith over enemies and competitors is seductive. I can see why people fall for it. But it's just NOT how God works. Sometimes we pray and get what we want. Sometimes we pray and don't. We should pray regardless, not just for the material benefits.

The above post on prayer just seems like a lame attempt to manipulate God and get people riled up. It reminds me of stuff I've seen Benny Hinn do.

I love the pastor that wrote this. I've learned a lot from him and have a ton of respect for his ministry. I just think he's gone down a dangerous path that probably looking back he won't be proud of. I know I do the same things sometimes and hope people will lovingly correct me.

I have noticed that since his bold proclamation of victory - the blog has been silent now for a couple of weeks on the issue. Can I assume that the battle hadn't "already been won"? And that it wasn't a "done deal"?

Humility guys and gals. Humility.

Popular Posts