Thoughts from Sunday in Bangkok

Went ahead with my planned sermon today... the third in a four part series on dealing with doubts and uncertainties about God. Here's the link.

The services did focus on and address some of the uncertainty we find ourselves in politically. Throughout the services we kept coming back to the themes of the day, but especially in the prayer time. Before praying we read parts of Lamentations 1, Psalm 79 and then Matthew 27 - focusing on what it feels like when the whole world seems out of whack. Walter Brueggemann calls these "times of disorientation". When things aren't as they should be. That's Bangkok now.

Here are some random additional thoughts.

(1) In the midst of this mess - we added a worship service (possibly two). One service in the morning, two official services in the evening and one other group of church folks I know gathered for worship today. All in all - we had close to 100 people attend services. Really inspired by the depth of commitment to one another and to our Lord Jesus who deserves worship in good times and in dangerous times.
(2) About the time a friend of mine was tweeting photos of Qbar (Sukhumvit Soi 11) with a good crowd last night, I also saw that Evangelical Church of Bangkok (Sukhumvit Soi 10) canceled all services. I'm becoming more and more concerned that we Christians have made security an idol. We've got to question our faith when the bars stay open and the churches close their doors for security reasons. I'm not advocating recklessness and I don't know ECB's reasons. Let's just say I am concerned.
(3) Christ Church also canceled today, but they are in the middle of the worst fighting zone. Why didn't they relocate? That's what we did. Maybe there is something to this thing of not having a "building" where we have to meet?
(4) It's weird reading tweets and Facebook posting from pastors in the States who talk about having "courage" and taking "risks" for God. I'm trying hard not to be judgmental or cynical. Clearly I'm failing.
(5) To go back to the "idol" of security. I'm a little frightened by how many Christians are ending every conversation with "be safe". I'm trying to remember, does Jesus ever tell us to "be safe"? Again - I'm not advocating recklessness. After hearing the Ministry of Education declare ALL schools closed in Bangkok next week, we'll likely head for the beach for a few days. Hopefully the point isn't to "be safe". Wonder what would happen if we had people taking reasonable risks to show God's love to soldiers AND protesters at this stage?
(6) I know this has seemed like a rant. Sorry about that. I'm sure someone will twist it or misunderstand my intention, but felt I needed to get it off my chest. It's not aimed at anyone in particular. I don't know anyone's specific situation and don't presume to know what's best for individuals. I do see worrisome tendencies though.
(7) Oh, one more thing. I'm also frustrated by the inflammatory language on twitter and facebook I'm seeing about people who disagree. I'm tired of seeing the words "ignorant," "stupid," "elite," and "terrorists." No one wants the violence we are seeing in the city. No one wants innocent OR guilty people dead. Our war in not with one another. Our war is against sin and evil and ultimately things that take life (death itself).

Popular Posts