Help for forgiving those who've attacked you

One of the challenges of forgiving others is the price tag.

I was reading Tony Campolo and Mary Albert Darling's new book Connecting Like Jesus (which I highly recommend) when I came across a great thought from Brian McLaren. Is that enough name dropping?

The chapter is about forgiving others when they have wronged us. Here's the quote:
[when] other people insult or attack me, I realize that they don't know anything bad about me compared to what I know and have admitted to God, so why should I get defensive about the things they are criticizing me for? I know there's a lot worse that I've shared with God.

Well, that changes things, doesn't it? I got this odd image in my head of the next time someone accuses me of something. Instead of getting defensive and defending myself, I could just say, "You don't know the half of it!" :P

There are other ways of thinking about forgiveness that are also helpful, but this one really struck me. Hope it helps you too.

Popular Posts