Inner Peace Comes from WithOUT

I read an article a few weeks back that claimed that inner peace comes from within. It quoted Buddha.
"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." - Buddha -
  • If you have more money, would you be more peaceful?
  • If you achieve your dreams, would you experience more peace?
  • Do you think that you enjoy a state of inner peace, only after you are financially secure?
  • Do you believe that inner peace is dependent on external circumstances?
All these questions, though, point to the fact that achievements (or striving for achievement) doesn't bring peace in our lives. That much I agree with.

However, I have thoughts and worries and problems that I just don't know what to do with. Some of MY inner turmoil isn't caused by my striving for more. Some of my inner turmoil is caused by my own lack of clarity. My feeling small in a big world. My lack of control and knowing it all.

That's why I think inner peace actually comes from withOUT. It comes from God. For me, peace comes from knowing the Creator of the universe. Knowing He is good. Believing that He cares. That life isn't random or arbitrary, but that it is bending in the direction of justice (to butcher one of MLK, Jr's famous lines). That knowledge, that belief gives me peace. And gives me confidence to throw my hat back in. I know it does NOT all depend on me. And for that I'm grateful.

Otherwise I would ALWAYS be freaked out.

How about you? What sounds peaceful?

Popular Posts