Back home

The family and I took a short trip to Singapore after Easter. We had a tremendous Easter service at ICB! :) And then it was good to get a few days away.

The Night Safari and Sentosa Island were the highlights of the trip! But the thing that really struck me was the city itself. Everything is so easy and convenient in Singapore. Everyone so friendly... almost too much so. The sidewalks are wide. Traffic moves. Everyone smiles and is helpful while being in a hurry themselves.

What a contrast with Bangkok! In Bangkok the sidewalks are narrow, the traffic doesn't move, everyone is friendly but in a different kind of way. Bangkok is hectic, but also much more laid back that S'pore. Everyone smiles, no one is helpful and no one is in any hurry. Except the people who are. :)

Although Singapore was a wonderful vacation and I hope to visit again, I think I'm glad I live in Bangkok. I don't know what it is ... it just fits by soul better. It's like the contrast between two types of Christians. Some Christians are always up, always happy. They slap you on the back when they see you and their hearts break over everything they see. And the really scary part is ... THEY ARE COMPLETELY SINCERE!

I just can't relate. I have a cynical streak. I'm up sometimes, but down others. I'll slap you on the back when you've done something I find neat, but otherwise a handshake will do. I'll give you my coat, but I won't pretend like it didn't cost me anything. My heart breaks too, but I don't always show it and somethings I just refuse to focus effort and emotion on stuff. My supply is limited. And the scary part is ... THIS IS THE REAL ME!

Perhaps God can use both types of people and both types of cities, but I prefer the authenticity of Bangkok and flawed Christians. Not to excuse bad traffic or bad behavior, but only to bring to light that which needs transformation.

Popular Posts