Rob Bell Insight

I read Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis on the plane ride back to Bangkok. It was great. While on vacation and continuing through (probably) tomorrow, I've been reading Timothy Keller's book, The Reason for God. Both books are great and I highly recommend them. Timothy and Rob are very different pastors writing to different audiences but trying to do essentially the same thing. They are both explaining Christianity in terms that make sense to them in hopes of helping it make sense to others. I'll try to do a few posts about insights from the books.

But a quick thought about something Rob said that is sticking in my mind. At one point Rob tells the story of how his church started. He's been incredibly successful. And he comments that he's never read a single church growth or leadership book. That he feels God has called him to teach the Bible.

Rob is known for his Bible teaching. In particular he is known for his knowledge of the Jewish background of the Christian Scriptures. I've heard him do it and he is pretty amazing.

Here's what strikes me about his comment. I HAVE read books on church growth and leadership. I've read almost EVERY book in the genre in an attempt to be a better pastor and leader in the church God has entrusted me with. What if I had thrown all the energy spent reading all the "church growth" books into studying the Scriptures? I've read ALL the preaching books. What if instead I had thrown myself into studying the Scriptures?

Every pastor needs to study. It's part of the job. It has to be balanced with relationship building and administration (Ugh). But perhaps I can do a better job deciding what to spend my study time on. I'm not going to give up the "church growth and leadership" section. It's a guilty pleasure, but I'm committing to balance it with more Bible study. Let's see what happens.

Popular Posts