Study as worship

I've been reading a lot lately. I guess being on vacation brings that out in me. I have about five books going at the moment. One thought from David Bivin's book, New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus, says that in the Jewish world of Jesus' day the bet midrash (synagogue school) was just as important in the community as the synagogue itself. Not because education is more important than worship but because Judaism does not distinguish between the two.

Study as a form of worship. That's a freeing thought for someone like me who loves to read and study.

I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow (Sunday). It'll be good to get back with the church and see people I haven't seen in a few weeks. I'm also looking forward to hearing from our outreach partner and seeing how people react in the evening service to Rob Bell's Nooma, Rain.

Popular Posts