A new friend

I made a new friend yesterday over lunch. As I sat and waited for my food - a song came on the in the restaurant that I was surprised to hear. "Soon and very soon, I am going to see the King." What are the chances in Buddhist Thailand of going to a restaurant and hearing an African American Christian Spiritual? I knew the waiter was from the Philippines. I thought he might be the owner or the manager. I'd seen him before. So I asked if he was also a Christian.

He is a Christian. In fact - he just became a Christian a couple of years ago and was very excited about his faith. He's not the owner though. I found out he's barely making enough to get by. He has three (or was it five?) kids. They are in the Philippines. His Christmas wish is that he and his wife (who are both in Thailand) can travel to the Philippines and see their children at Christmas.

I know a lot of people who have a similar prayer. They are migrant workers attracted to Thailand (Bangkok) because they can make a better living here. And they enjoy it. But they miss their families. And they can't afford regular travels back and forth to where they are from.

I promised to pray for my new friend. I promised to pray that God provide him and his wife the opportunity to travel to the Philippines and be with their kids for Christmas. Will you join me?

Popular Posts