A Tale of Two Cities

I was reading and meditating a bit (in fact writing this post is a sort of meditation) on Psalm 16:1. David writes, "Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge."

The following are some rambling thoughts on that passage. God is trying to say something.

What do I take refuge in? I tend to take refuge in things other than God... like my own ability to foresee trouble and avoid it. I take refuge in luxury. Escape the troubles of the real world. I take refuge in my ability to buy happiness. I take refuge in my wife and kids... in my church. Right now I'm taking refuge in a blog. I could go on, but you get the picture.

I don't think there is anything wrong with these things except maybe the "luxury" one. Many people have much more destructive places. Like those who take refuge in drugs, or food or lust. We see a lot of that in Thailand.

What would it look like to really take refuge in God? I think God can be part of those "healthy" things I listed above. I think God puts us in families partly to provide a refuge. This makes me realize how terribly sad it is that so many families are destructive places of stress and pain rather than comfort and refuge.

One of the places I take refuge is in my home. I'm an introvert. I need time by myself. It's probably why I'm blogging at 2:51 am. It's quiet now. No kids. I can just relax. Pray. Read. Stretch. Rekindle.

I visited a friend yesterday afternoon. I took a new friend, David, in to meet Rod and to see some of Klong Toey slum. I think every tourist who visits Bangkok ought to see something outside the tourist districts. So I arranged for David to come with me to visit Rod. Rod lives right in the middle of the slum.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0dhkia

His newsletter has some photos of his new house that are worth looking at.

As I was thinking about my need for peace and quiet and "refuge" in a home, it occurred to me how NOT that way Rod's place must be. He talks about the alcohol induced arguments that occur on his veranda. We can often hear the neighbors (particularly behind our house) talking and playing well into the night. But Rod's place is just people on top of people, on top of more people. I wonder what that would be like.

Many people when they pray the prayer of David from Psalm 16 would assume that when God "keeps them safe" it would mean leading them away from the slum into a more luxurious life. I think that's wrong. I think we pray "keep me safe, O God" as we enter into ministry in the name and style of Jesus. There is no need to take refuge in God when life is too easy. I find my best seasons of prayer are actually when I'm in over my head.

No risk. No refuge.

Thursday afternoon was spent in the Slum. Friday will be spent on the golf course. Many people, including myself, find refuge on the golf course.

But the juxtaposition of the two days... Thursday and Friday is striking. There are really two Thailands. Two Bangkoks. One is overflowing with money. One is struggling to find food to eat. As a Christian - I feel that I have to be wary of seeking refuge in the rich corners and neglecting the poor corners. How can a Christian isolate him/herself in the world of opulence when the world of poverty cries out?

God, help me to fully put my trust in you. Help me to hear the cry of the poor. Help me to extend mercy and grace to rich and poor alike. Use me to connect those with great wealth to those suffering great poverty that they might know each other, understand each other and perhaps be a benefit to each other. Amen.

Popular Posts