Did this ever happen at your school growing up?

"Did this ever happen at your school growing up?"

Those were the words my wife greeted me with on Tuesday afternoon as she picked up our son Jake from School. She was about to tell me that the pick up was delayed a bit and more of a hassle than usual because Jose Ramos-Horta, President of East Timor was at the school for something.

"No. No heads of state ever created traffic problems at my elementary school."

Now I'm sure he didn't visit the 5 yr olds. But still.... A brush with greatness and the only thing to show for it is a hassle at pickup time.

Got me to thinking ... wonder how often that happens? Or more specifically, spiritually speaking, I wonder how often we come face to face with God and don't even recognize Him. Consider His impact on our lives an inconvenience (a delay at pickup) rather than the blessing it is?

I've been reading a book called GOD was in this PLACE & I, i did not know by Lawrence Kushner. It's a book about Genesis 28:10-16 where Jacob utters that line. Kushner presents a few different interpretations. One of them is. God was in this place and I didn't know it. I wonder where else God has been and is in my life that I have not and do not recognize. It's a great thought. It's a call to mindfulness and reflection. My prayer is that it gets you thinking.

How often do we cross paths with greatness (God) and we don't even know?

Popular Posts