I've been praying, but you've got to do your part


I was asked to pray recently for a woman who was in the hospital. A friend of a friend who I've known for some time. Her husband is one of those "very in love with Jesus" people who dropped out of church a long time ago. He's been emailing me during his wife's hospitalization. Seeking support that I am more than happy to give.

They don't know how much it breaks my heart. They don't see what they are doing to themselves.

Her hospitalization was a stress induced heart issue. She's had this before. We've prayed before. Emails go out to me and other pastors whose churches they don't attend. "Have faith in God. We believe in prayer," they say. And then a few days after surgery, more emails go out. "God is so good. God has seen us through one more hardship."

Then a line at the end of the email. "Please pray for strength as she works all day Saturday and Sunday to prepare for work on Monday."

Well I'm not going to do it. I can't. It's like saying, "Please pray for me as I continue to ignore my God-given need for rest." Not going to do it. I WILL pray. I'll pray that she rests on Saturday. Goes to church on Sunday and worships the God who saw her through the surgery. I'm not going to pray the prayer she asked.

God can help her re-direct her life. I wonder if the heart issues aren't God clearing his throat asking for attention.

Popular Posts