Learning to ride a bike


A few weeks ago I taught my son Jake (aged 7) how to ride a bike. It was one of those challenging moments as a parent.

I know how to ride a bike. I could tell him how to do it, but he couldn’t really hear me. I was trying to help but I wasn’t being helpful.

He’d climb on the bike and I’d hold the seat to steady him. I’d tell him to pedal and I’d run along all hunched over holding him steady by holding the seat. I just couldn’t let go. I was too afraid he would crash.

But I also knew that he’d never learn to ride a bike unless I let go and allowed him to learn. I couldn’t chase him around for the rest of his life holding onto his seat. It wouldn’t be good for him and it would kill me.

Finally - I got up the courage to let him go. I created the conditions for his success as best I could. I did my best to prevent injury by making him wear a helmet. I put him on the seat. Held the seat steady. Told him to start pedaling. Ran behind for a few seconds steadying the bike... and then released. He crashed immediately.

My heart broke. I felt terrible. And he wasn’t even hurt. Eventually he got it. It was hard as a parent. A lot harder than it was for my son.

I wonder if that’s how God feels watching over us. He loves us soooo much. He wants what’s best for us. He chases us around trying to make sure we don’t hurt ourselves or anyone else. But in the end - he has to let go of the seat an let us learn to ride. It’s called character development.

Some people have this image of God that God doesn’t care because He lets us go sometimes. I think the fact that God allows us to learn to face difficulties in life instead of artificially withholding all things painful is actually evidence of His love for us. What kind of father would refuse to let his kid learn to ride a bike?

Popular Posts