3 Practical Movements For Telling God's Story

One of the most compelling ways to explain Jesus to someone that doesn't know Him is to tell your story. What happened to you when you met him? I believe most (if not all) Christians have a story that is compelling. But I also know that many (if not most) of us don't know how to tell our stories. (And stories is the right word, I've got tonnes of them.)

Jeff Goins is a writer and blogger and he shared a few steps to telling a great story. They apply great to telling our faith stories.

1. Use a hook

Get the other person's attention. Make it surprising. Promise something they want. "So sorry to hear that you lost your job. I know exactly what that feels like. It was hard but I got through it. Let me tell you how...."

2. Tell the story Most of the time if you simply state what happened in chronological order, it'll be interesting.What happened is just naturally interesting.

3. Reflect Here's where I often fall off. Often I'll tell a story just to tell it. I thought it was funny. Or something happened I didn't understand that left me confused. But tell your story with a purpose. At the end, ask, so how do you see [insert topic of story]? How does that work in your life? Where do you find hope? I made it through months of unemployment by volunteering with an orphanage, what have you been doing with your free time?

Why is your story relevant?

Often, I hear people jump straight to the reflection or don’t take the time to grab their audience with a hook. Or they drone on and one with an anecdote without explaining why they’re telling you the story.

The result is confusion and even frustration.

Your stories are powerful. They have potential to change the life of the other person. Don't shortchange the Spirit. When someone shares their story with you, engage back. Tell them one of yours. Show them how God has been active in your life. After hearing, some of them will be able to see how God is working in their lives too.

Popular Posts