Spiritual Growth Through Intentional Self-Deception?

I read this article today about how a Yale University study recently suggested that we might be able to improve our diets by lying to ourselves about how many calories the food we are eating contains. You'll feel more satisfied if you *think* you are eating higher calorie foods whether they ARE higher calorie or not.

This makes me feel better about telling my daughter that green beans are a type of candy that she should only eat on special occasions.

What I'm wondering is if this same psychology could be applied for spiritual growth?

Motivation is a tricky thing. Most of what I've read about this kind of intentional manipulation of self or others says that it's temporary and often backfires in the long run. Perhaps it's better to stick with the tried and true, "Seek the truth and the truth will set you free." Someone famous once said something like that.

I wonder how THAT would apply today?

Popular Posts