How A Buddhist Monk Helped Me Draw Closer To Jesus

I think God speaks a lot more often than we hear. One of the best things you can do as a Christian is cultivate an openness to hear the voice of God.

One of the things we learn over and over again in Scripture is how often God speaks through and in places we'd least expect. There is this famous line from Genesis, "God was in the place and I didn't even know it." (Genesis 28:16)

A few days ago I had one of those "hearing from God" experiences that wasn't expected.

I had a big day of appointment after appointment coming up. I'd slept later than I wanted. I blew off the gym 'cause I didn't want to be rushed. And I had a choice between sitting down for a leisurely time with God and rushing off to 7-11 to load up on sugar and caffeine before having a rushed time with God before jumping into the day.

I chose to put my faith in sugar and caffeine instead of God. (I know it sounds harsh, but I'm just trying to be brutally honest.)

As I was walking back from 7-11, there was a Monk passing the same sidewalk. Although I'm Christian and not Buddhist, I have great respect for any Monk who follows the precepts closely. I feel sad they don't know Jesus like I do, but I also recognize a kindred spirit seeking God. And I pray for each of them that they'll find and know and love Jesus one day.

As we crossed paths, I noticed that he was walking more slowly than I. He had his alms bowl. And had a look of serenity in his eyes. It struck me that I probably didn't. I probably had the look of an addict about to get his fix to get him through the day. It was like a punch in the gut.

I went home and threw the sugar and caffeine in the trash. 40 baht, down the drain. And spent the next 20 minutes in prayer and meditation before leaving for my first appointment of the day.

Thanks God for putting that Monk in my path. Bless his soul and reveal yourself to him so that he might know the grace I know. May this lesson you enabled him to teach me stay with me for more than a few days. Amen.

Popular Posts