I was robbed - sort of

Not really. But last November some charged almost $2000 USD for a Louis Vuitton bag. That's about 7% of my annual salary! Needless to say I didn't do it. Proving I didn't do it, however, might be difficult.

Back when this charge first appeared on my credit card, I called and the bank rep was pretty sympathetic. I don't have a history of blowing $2000 on handbags. I don't have a history of blowing $2000 on anything actually. I'm cheap. And perhaps it will pay off this time.

But now the bank has sent me a letter with a photocopy of the receipt from the Paris shop. It has my credit card number. The only thing it doesn't have is my signature. You'd think the bank would notice! The bank seems to think my credit card must have been present for the purchase. But I have the credit card here in my wallet. It hasn't been stolen and I haven't been to Paris. My passport will show that I have not been to France (or Europe for that matter) since 2001.

In spite of all this, I wonder if I will be able to satisfy the bank or will I end up paying for a bag I didn't purchase? Just one of the frustations that come up in the bizarro world we live in today.

Many of us (me included) talk about Jesus as our Savior. Sometimes people ask me what he saves us from. I think he saves us from ourselves and the world we've created. I think he saves us from sin (other people's and our own). I always think of some of the images of SHALOM from the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). A condition of peace and hope and justice where all is right with the world.

So my prayer today is, 'Hurry up Jesus. Help me out with this credit card fraud. Amen.'

Popular Posts