Unexpected delays

I had an appointment this afternoon to talk about a wedding. I really enjoy performing weddings. It's just a priviledge to participate with people at that point in their lives. Anyway, the future Bride picked me up and off we went to pick up her mom and sister. What seemed like an hour later we arrived. It was supposed to be a 12 noon lunch appointment. We started eating at 1:30 and finished at 3:15pm. Yikes. But that's Bangkok.

While we were driving, I realized that if I had known where we were trying to go, I could have gotten us there a lot faster. I knew a better way. Isn't that how life so often is. If we only knew where we were going, we could get there faster, better, with less hassle? I think that's one reason goal setting is so important. It helps us know where we are trying to go. I also think that's one reason Jesus was such a brilliant teacher. He continually held up the end game... the Kingdom of God is like... was his favorite phrase.

I think often when Christians get off track it's because we forget what the end is supposed to look like. We try to obey a particular verse, but fail to think about it in the context of Scripture as a whole. Jesus' vision of the Kingdom (peace, justice, wholeness, holiness, etc...) this is the end game... the goal. We, Christians, need to always keep that in mind as we try to make our day to day life decisions.

Popular Posts