Scripture abused?

This weekend will finish the sermon series on "Abundant life: stuff we do as Christians to screw up our lives." (That last tagline isn't actually part of the official title. :)

This last sermon is proving interesting. I scheduled (and committed to myself) to preach the last sermon from EPHESIANS 5:21. I'm convinced misunderstanding this verse has screwed up more Christian lives.... The challenge is the context. 5:21 is closely tied to the verses following it. And THEY have been so abused over the years.

Frankly, I'd be much more comfortable teaching on that passage in a Sunday school context where there is interaction and an opportunity to go into more depth than a sermon. But we preach the cards we are dealt.

I'll bet this is the first time that passage has been talked about publicly in this church in a very long time. I know I haven't brought it up in the last three years. Not that every bible passage needs touching on regularly - but this is one that is actually on people's minds. Most people know about the "wives, submit to your husbands" passage. Most people I know take one of three perspectives. (1) agree with it blindly (2) fight against it vehemently or (3) ignore it. What if there is another way? What if there is something deeper at stake?

Obviously I think the answers to this question is 'yes, there is something more important here than figuing out who is in charge - women or men. Come Sunday for a sermon that gets into some of the 'meat and vegetables' of the faith.

Popular Posts