Airports reopen in 15 days. No 7. No tomorrow.

So we got word late yesterday that the PAD had decided to let the airports reopen. Airports of Thailand folks initially said they'd reopen on December 15. Then on the 7th. I heard the 5th. Then they were talking about flights going today. Who knows?

It's good to have the tension ease up. I wonder though how long this peace will last. Won't the PPP just reform under a new name? Run different candidates? And get re-elected?

I heard one of my American friends say condescendingly - "It's terrible. The PAD are a bunch of bullies. I can't believe that the courts would orchestrate a coup like this. Who do they think they are to overturn the vote? This would never happen in America." Oh yeah. Never in America, eh? Implication is that Americans are too mature fr this kind of thing. Pretty funny how quickly we forget.

This has been one of the sadder parts of this whole mess for me. I heard a British tourist interviewed on BBC complaining that the "Thais are acting like children". Implication being that Brits never do.

The paternalistic and (dare I say it) racism that has come out as westerners have been stranded is really appalling. One of my prayers is that Thai people recognize those kinds of comments as NOT representative of all us westerners. Another of my prayers is that God would change the hearts of those of us who think we are so superior. Another prayer is that this reduction of tensions would blossom into a genuine peace that is fair and just.

Popular Posts