How lazy are we?

I saw this in Toys R Us yesterday doing some Christmas shopping. As Jay Leno would say, "How lazy are we that we need a machine to shuffle cards for us? We can't actually pick up the two sides of the deck and put them together?"

Maybe there is something I'm not seeing?

It's easy to become physically lazy in a world where children's toy stories have "card shufflers". I wonder - do we have problems with spiritual laziness as well. We (most of us) live in a world where we have access to an amazing array of spiritual resources. We have Bibles in every language. We have online concordances which are infinitely more powerful that tools that were available even to the top scholars just a few years ago. We have podcast sermons, Bible studies. We have amazing access to mission and opportunities to help others in need in the name of Jesus. It's remarkable really. But how many of us (in the midst of all this) find it hard to just say a prayer? Read the Bible for ourselves? Think for ourselves? Meditate on a passage of Scripture for even 10 minutes?

Most of the time all the tools I have at my disposal are incredibly useful and fruitful, but sometimes they make me lazy. Sometimes I lean on them when I ought to "do it myself".

Where do you have the tendency to get spiritually lazy?

Popular Posts