Sunday night thoughts

Okay Thailand is definitely one of the weirdest places to be a pastor. The 10am service wasn't anything unusual. Sleepy people from the holidays. The evening service had some energy. But it was a couple of things that happened before service that was funny.

When I walked in at 5:30pm, there was a computer movie going and a shirtless guy asleep on the couch. I pretty much had to yell at him to wake him. Then I had a hard time getting him up and out. He seemed a bit confused.

Then Tim (our guitarist for the night) came in and asked who the sleeping kid is. I started to explain, I didn't know the kid but that I'd finally gotten him to get up when I realized that Tim wasn't asking me about the shirtless guy. He was asking about the 5 year old passed out in the nursery. The Guest House employee who was helping set out chairs said her dad was in with the Nepalese Christmas party.

At about 6pm, a group of kids came in. Ran into the nursery. Turned on the lights. Jumped around. Finally the spotted the sleeping girl. They stopped in their tracks. Looked around. Talked amongst themselves and then turned the lights out and left. They said nothing to anyone about their discovery.

About 6:15, I wandered over to the Nepalese party to let mom or dad know that we were about to start worship. Mom came and scooped up the child. I've never seen a deeper sleeper. And I can't imagine leaving my kid in the next room asleep like that.

Then 10 minutes later we were starting worship and it was good. And God showed up (as usual).

Popular Posts