Does Webchurch work?



This is a really interesting Baptism testimony from NewSpring Church in my hometown. It raises all kinds of interesting questions. One of the pastors of the church takes this kind of conversion as evidence that webchurch works (for them that means getting people baptised). I'm willing to grant that. Seems hard to argue with. But I would add a warning. Webchurch works, but it doesn't work best. And I suspect it often works with less depth.

Since I'm in a smaller church (200 people) instead of a megachurch, webchurch isn't really an option. But I do wonder, can you build genuine community online? Facebook/Myspace/Twitter/et al. are tremendous tools, but can we offer those as serious alternatives to face-to-face coffee and fellowship? What about relationships of accountability? What about the shoulder to cry on or the foot to kick you in the rear? I need that stuff from time to time.

It's an issue we are trying to sort through as a church. With people traveling so much and some living so far away - how do you build community and fellowship? Small groups seem to work for only about 25% of the congregation. But perhaps online community is a start for many people.

Popular Posts