Can you be a disciple and not a Christian?

I'm reading a book by Ray Anderson. It is an attempt to develop a theology for the "emerging" church movement which is so popular among Generation X and younger. In the book he highlights what he sees as the radically different approach to theology that occured in Antioch under the leadership of Paul verses the theology that developed in Jerusalem under the leadership of Peter and James. It's a very interesting book. I wish it was written in more accessible language.

Anyway - Ray points out that one of the key differences between Jerusalem and Antioch is that Paul (representing Antioch) met the risen Christ before he met the historical Jesus. In other words, Paul first encounted Jesus on the Damascus road (Acts 9) and only later learned about Jesus' life presumably by traveling with John Mark and Luke. The Jerusalem church leaders had been disciples of Jesus during his earthly ministry. They started out as disciples (followers) and only over the course of time discovered that this Jesus was the Christ (Messiah) come to save the world.

It begs the question. Can a modern day person be a disciple without being a Christian? I think it's possible. Could you follow Jesus without trusting him? Or trusting in him?

Obviously I think the answer is 'yes'. And you see evidence of it all the time. It's the "Jesus as great teacher" group. They follow Jesus by trying to live good and holy lives. But they reject him as "Christ" sent by God to save the world in any religious sense. Ironically, they end up imposing a kind of law on themselves. Christianity for them becomes about 'doing good deeds'. Far be it from me to discourage that :). But to me, the great insight of Christianity (and witness of Jesus) is that God actually loves us and acts with grace towards us.

So I strive to do good and be good - not because that's all there is to life, but because God has (to use biblical language) already reckoned me as righteous through Christ. I'm simply trying to be good to live up to who I already am. The difference is in the motivation.

Can you be a disciple and not a Christian? I'm afraid so.

Popular Posts