The "gripe" crowd disgusts me

I'll probably get in trouble for this post. I probably speak more bluntly here than I would in any other context. So if you don't like straightforward talk... please don't read any further.

Okay. I warned you.

What's got me angry? I came across an article today about a church struggling with transition. I got the news here at Monday Morning Insight. The fact is I don't know anything about this church other than what I read in the short article. It is large. And the new pastor is transitioning after a pastor who was popular. What makes me mad are the gripes listed.

Here's a snipit from the article...

--Much of the complaints are also cultural. Critics don’t like Cox’s use of the popular book ” Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren, his reference to First Baptist as a “campus” instead of a “church,” and the change in music to a more contemporary sound.
--"I like the organ,” said Jim Ward at the meeting. “I don’t like the drums, guitars, (but) I’m older.”
--The group is circulating a petition to force Cox’s ouster, Woolyhand said.

Here's what disgusts me. These folks are complaining about organ music while people in their city don't have food to eat. These guys are griping about the new "contemporary" sounding music, while people are contemplating suicide because they don't think anyone cares. FYI, the only people who 'like' organ music are people who grew up in church and find it nostalgic.

I have conversations like that all the time. It's happened in every church I've been in. You spend an hour with someone who is dying to believe that God actually loves him or her. Or you spend half a day with a family intervention trying to save someone from drug addiction. Or you've just come from the hospital where someone got a diagnosis of cancer. And then you have to field a frivolous phone call from someone upset about the color of the carpet!

I have to say clearly, "I don't care about tradition." If it furthers the gospel, great. If not, I just don't care. I don't care what makes you feel nostalgic. Again, if it furthers the gospel, great. If not. I just don't care.

The church (esp in the western world) needs to get over itself. The 'good ole days' are over. And frankly, they weren't so good. The generation most protective of the "old ways" is also the generation who saw such a tiny percentage of their own children remain in church. Why? 'Cause their kids couldn't stand church. It was boring.

As for organ music... There is a reason record stores don't carry it. There is a reason "pop" music is called "pop". It's POPULAR. So we have very simple question to ask...

Is preserving "tradition" or "the way we've always done it" more important than our children (or grandchildren) learning to love God? Is it more important than creating an environment where our seeking neighbors might listen? If so then we don't have the heart of God for people. Luke 15 is the most powerful chapter in scripture for me... the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son. Each time the God-figure in the story leaves what is found to go get what is lost.

Will the church be willing to continue to leave behind what's already found to go get those who are 'lost'? I sure hope so 'cause that's a church I'm proud to be part of. If not, I think we are gonna have some 'planen to do.

Popular Posts