Taking Risks

There is a great post on Kem Meyer's blog about risk taking. I loved the list of risks that people took.

"*During a series on purity, one church had a moment during the service where the women had the opportunity to publicly and corporately make a commitment to live a life of purity. They invited the women in the church to live in the "No Ho Zone". Scores of women came forward and made that commitment. I'd call that a success worth the risk.
*One senior pastor and his team wanted to do a series on forgiveness and theme it "The Other F word". Was it worth the risk? I don't know. The elders wouldn't let them do it.
*A couple of weekends ago we made a parody media to show during our 24 series. It was a little risky and a little random. Was it worth it? Depends on who you talk to. All I know is that my daughter was in it and I thought she did a great job. Watch it."

I love the outlandish behavior in an attempt to get people's attention. I think the "No Ho Zone" idea is much more controversial than "The Other F Word". I would probably do a sermon called "The Other F Word" but wouldn't encourage purity by asking people to stand for the "No Ho Zone". Somehow that seems inherantly demeaning. It sort of makes fun of the people whose sin you are discouraging. I wouldn't do it... but I'm glad they did.

One of my resolutions for the next year is to be less risk-averse. I hope someone in church will hold me to that.

Popular Posts