I came across this list from Tony Morgan's website. I think there is real insight here.

10 Easy Ways to Make Your Church Services More Boring
1. Don’t worry about when you finish. I’m sure no one has plans after the service.
2. Straight Scriptures. No stories. Jesus didn’t teach that way, but you’re a better communicator than Jesus, right?
3. Television. Movies. It’s just a phase. People don’t really need visual stimulation. They prefer talking heads.
4. Use the same service order…every week…no exceptions…ever.
5. Make more announcements.
6. Encourage your elementary school kids to sit through your services. They love lively 45-minute sermons. It’s good for them. It builds character.
7. Talk more about the past and the less about the future.
8. Play the same Chris Tomlin song every week. And, try the chorus one more time.
9. Use lots of big words that no one uses in normal, everyday life.
10. Forget relevant topics and life application. People are really only interested in hearing what you think, not why it matters to them.

There are two or three in this list that I don't agree with but the general thrust is right on target. We (in the church) often seem to think people ought to appreciate the opportunity we give them to be with us for worship. It's almost like we ask newcomers to sell themselves. When in reality we are the sellers and they are the buyers. I don't want to encourage church consumer mentality, but that's the reality. There are a million things to do on a Sunday morning. Why church? If it's not improving your life, or your life with God, or someone else's life, then why go?

This might sound harsh (occasionally I'm accused of that) but we can do better. ICB can do better. Every church I've ever been part of can do better. Someone said they believe it's a sin to bore people. I think that's right. I know I sin sometimes during the Sunday sermon. I'm committed to doing that less.

Popular Posts