Klong Toey Slum and the Marriot Spa

God is really working on me with this contentment issue. I don't know how I'm going to preach this tomorrow. I only know I'm learning a ton.

A day after posting about being paid half what other people in similar jobs get I had the follow experiences.

(1) I started the day by performing a wedding at the Marriot Resort and Spa here in Bangkok. It's not the nicest hotel in Bangkok. But it's pretty nice with a beautiful river view. The wedding was very pretty. Surrounded by wealth. My envy of those with the big salaries was being fueled as I realized I couldn't afford a room in the hotel I was performing the wedding in.

(2) I rushed home because I was meeting a group from church to visit the Klong Toey Community Center of the Church of Christ Thailand. I spent the afternoon in Klong Toey slum with foreign Christians who have decided to actually live in the slum to live out their conviction that missions should be incarnational and holistic. Ash and Anji Barker are with Urban Neighbors of Hope. Pretty inspirational stuff. I meet Noi (not real name). Her mother just died of AIDS a few weeks ago. Now she is head of her house at age (I'm guessing) 12.

And here I am complaining about not making as much as the next guy. Complaining that I can't afford the most luxurious restaurants and the posh resorts. How pathetic.

It reminded me that I need to pay attention to who I'm spending time with because that's who I end up comparing myself to. I think I'm at more peace now. God comes through again - as always with perfect timing.

Popular Posts