Earth Day at Church


Sometimes I am cynical about environmentalism. Despite that... on Sunday we'll participate in Earth Day at ICB. Kind of a weird symbol/logo if you ask me. Apparently it is supposed to be a Greek letter Theta (often used to symbolize God). Wiki said it was to symbolize peace or warning. Sounded to me like no one really knew.

US Senator Gaylord Nelson started Earth Day on 22 April 1970.

I have to admit that I'm not always trusting of "earth day" type stuff. In college it was associated with too much Mother Earth religious language that is explicitly not Christian and I think leads to some pretty dangerous religious views. I've also encountered plenty of environmentalism that was simply a feel good hobby for the rich. You recycle aluminum cans but feel no guilt about excessive air travel. Last year I even caught my child's school telling the "drivers" (low income Thais hired to drive the rich around town) that they should turn off their cars while waiting on the kids to come out of school. It was part of an "environmental week" at school.

Of course, the cars were on because it's insanely hot in Thailand. How about the school turn off the A/C in the classrooms, gymnasium or admin offices? Or even better how about the school sports teams not travel to matches internationally almost every weekend? You can see my frustration. When environmentalism is hoisted on the backs of the poor while the rich still enjoy any and every comfort something is wrong.

The movement when it began back in 1970 had a decidedly "anti-population growth" element as well. Again - seems pretty arrogant for rich countries (i.e. the USA) who consume 100s of times the resources per person of poor countries to tell ALL countries to limit their populations.

But I digress. There are GOOD, responsible, righteous ways to be part of this movement. Ways that don't pit the poor and the environment against each other. Ways that honor ALL living things. Ways that raise awareness and make us all better world citizens. I was struck earlier this week by a paraphrase of Psalm 24:1. "The earth is NOT yours to mess up!" - God.

We'd all do well to remember that. And we will... at the International Church of Bangkok on Sunday morning. Won't you join us?

Popular Posts