How and why Christians forgive their enemies

So I preached this sermon BEFORE Osama Bin Laden was killed and people all over the world celebrated the death of the enemy. And the applications points in the sermon are mostly about personal relationships like family and co-workers. But I think it applies to the geo-political as well. See what you think. Here's the sermon from 1 May (the day before Bin Laden was killed).

In terms of church Sunday - there were a few things to note.

* It was great to do a contemporary song in the morning and *mostly* get it right. It wasn't what I would call a home run, but we did get a solid base hit. The song moved the emotions just right into a time of prayer. I hope people saw the potential.
* It was great to have a pretty full choir for the Sunday after Easter and a major holiday. Attendance was poor, but the choir still was in double digits.
* I was dying after the worship service. I had too many scheduled conversations. I've got to manage that better. I sacrificed visitors for business with regulars. That should NEVER happen. And I've repented and am taking steps to make it not happen again.
* Love Sam's worship leading spirit in the evening.
* A couple of truisms from the sermon.
  1. Forgiven people forgive people (thanks Northpointe Church for that line).
  2. The longer you hold a grudge the deeper a hold it has on you.
  3. We can call hurt and pain for what it is. EVIL. (See Romans 12:17 and 21) Forgiveness is not a game of pretend.
  4. Living at peace with others and living in partnership or relationship are two different things.
* Got a great backhanded comment from one of the evening congregation. She said "We love your preaching because you struggle just as much if not more than we do." LOL I think the point was that I am a very honest preacher.

Popular Posts