The importance of slowing down

A friend of mine wrote that he's been seeing a trainer. The main reason is so that he'll remember to work out slowly.

My biggest problem has been slowing down. I tend to work out too fast. Lift too fast, do crunches too fast, do pushups too fast, etc.

I haven’t been able to catch myself when I’m going too fast. I’m certainly capable of slowing down, and I fundamentally understand the benefits of slowing down, but I just couldn’t come up with something that pops in my head to encourage me to slow down when I find myself going too fast.

Then his suggested he think about playing darts. If you had three darts, had already thrown two, and you only have one shot left. What do you do? You'd slow down, take a deep breath, measure the distance, rehearse a few throws, settle in, focus, and throw. You wouldn’t rush up there and just toss the thing.

This is true of life too, isn't it? When you really want to do something right, which is usually what you should be striving for, you tend to slow down.

Of course lots of things are relative and sometimes time restraints make speed a good thing. But we'd be wise not to artificially impose urgency on everything we do.

I wonder if this slow down advice might relate to the biblical command to take a sabbath? For me that's one of the benefits of sabbath rest. It slows me down and helps me gain perspective as well as rest. What about you? How do you slow down?

Popular Posts